Saturday 30 October 2010

the answering machine

Friday night and an entry in my diary telling me that The Answering Machine are playing in Cafe Drummond, Aberdeen. I can't remember where they were recommended but having checked out their website and downloaded the new single "Animals" for free I managed to talk Alistair into going.

First stop was The Grill and within 2 min
utes we had managed to attract the attention of the biggest drunk present. He was, however, quite amusing and told us a great story that had us reeled in hook, line and sinker.

A sharp exit was made and we headed for Alistair's favourite bar, The Prince of Wales. In my opinion, it was stinking of cat pee and hairy beards as soon as we walked in the door, a fact confirmed by A
listair's visit to the gents' toilet.

The alleged "on stage" time was fast approaching so we headed to Drummonds and again managed to attract the attention of Aberdeen's answer to Bez! It quickly became clear that with 2 support acts still to play that TAM would not be on stage any time soon. The final supp
ort act, Rapids, were quite interesting with a manic singer - lots of energy!

TAM took to the stage about 10.50 pm to a pretty small crowd. However, from the opening chords I was hooked. The fact that the bass player was gorgeous had nothing to do with it. I loved every minute of the gig and managed to shoot off 260 photos! I thought my camera was knackered but I had filled the memory card. Tried to buy their new cd after the gig but it is not out until next year. I'll certainly be making a purchase.

Until nearly 3 am I fiddled with my photos and got them transferred onto my laptop ready for photoshop editing on Saturday. Editing took another 4 hours in the morning but I'm pleased with the
results currently on flickr.

Brilliant band - check them out here.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great night! Would agree with Prince of Wales.....STINKS!

    Somebody of your age should watch late nights...may be too much! What with the excitement of the bass player also!

    ReplyDelete