Tuesday 12 April 2011

inchmore wild camp

Time for my first wild camping trip of the year and the weather forecast was looking good, if not cold overnight. Decided to go to Inchmore which is 2.5 miles west of Corgarff Castle and situated near the River Don.

On the way in the track passes by Delnadamph which was once the highest shooting lodge in Scotland, at 430 m. It was bought in 1977 by the Queen, allegedly for Charles and Diana, but Diana was said to not like the building. It was demolished in 1989 but the dog kennels and a couple of other buildings still remain. The kennel is a listed building fr
om the late 19th century - how did the Queen get permission to demolish the lodge?


It took me about 45 minutes to reach the bothy (into a strong headwind). I had stopped to talk to an inquisitive farmer in his land rover but he was pleasant enough. No doubt my car registration was noted by MI5. Initially I had planned to camp near the dam but I couldn't find a flat and/or dry enough spot so I trailed back to the bothy which had lovely, short, flat grass!

The Wild Country Sololite tent is really easy to pitch - probably about 5 to 10 minutes. Got the gear unpacked and it was time to try out my new stove - an MSR Pocket Rocket. I had to go to Inverurie to get a gas canister to fit it but all was well and hot chocolate was ready in about 2 minutes. Delicious. Then it was a curry meal by Fuizion and it was probably my tastiest meal for a long time. Just add water to the pouch and leave fo
r 10 minutes. No doubt the environs made the meal taste better than it really was.

I managed to get a shot of the bothy in moonlight around the back of 9 pm and decided to get into my sleeping bag at 9.45
pm as it was pretty dark and cold. The odd shower and hail storm had passed and by now the sky was cloudless.

I can't say I got a great sleep but this was nothing to do with the cold. If anything, I was too hot - could be the fact that I slept in base layer top and pants with the addition of a wool hat and extra top! Eventually I had to take off the extra top. During the night I got out to check the tent as it was making flapping noises but it was ok. I swear the dam sounded like a jet aircraft all night. The stars were stunning and I wished I had carried my heavy tripod for some Milky Way shots. Perhaps next time
.

Got up about 6.30 am in order to get some sunrise photos and it was cold! The hail had frozen in little pools at the foot of the flysheet. However, soon got the water on and enjoyed another hot chocolate. Decided to have a rice pudding for breakfast but is was not nearly as good as the curry - the rice had dried into big clumps and did not really absorb enough
water.

Packed all the gear again and soon hit the road back to the car at Corgarff Castle. Tent and sleeping bag airing at present and all clean after a shower. Great start to a few months of wild campin
g adventures!



1 comment:

  1. Bonny photos! When is the next one planned? Got a few short weeks at work coming up. ;)

    ReplyDelete