Saturday 22 January 2011

glen girnock

Went to bed on Friday night hoping the weather would be bright the next day and I was not disappointed. I had planned to walk up Glen Girnock after a bit of research with the aim of identifying some wild camping locations. Left Alford in a mild 5 degrees but by the time I got to the "car park" at Littlemill it was down to 0 degrees.

The weather was beautiful and after adding a few layers of clothing I was soon on the track (marked Private) up into Glen Girnock. There was still a bit of icy snow on parts of the track that made for interesting walking but thankfully they were few and far between.

The first abandoned house is Loinveg, still in good condition.


The next abandoned house is Camlet where once upon a time 20 families lived in long houses. The house sits near to a hill where witches were once burned and was occupied by the Minister of Camle
t.


The last house I passed is Bovaglie and what a location! Uninterrupted views across to Lochnagar. The house sits in the remains of old woodland and is the perfect wild camping spot (as is Camlet). After taking loads of photos I turned back towards the car, still enjo
ying the sunshine and calm conditions.


I think this will be my next wild camping location - a walk of 3.2 miles from the car with great views, isolation and a wat
er supply.


More information on the cotter-touns here.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos and looks like lovely walk.....what an idyllic setting for a house!!

    ReplyDelete