Saturday 18 September 2010

trial run


This morning I packed my rucksack with what I thought I would need for wild camping. Everything just squeezed in and it hit the scales at 1 stone 12 lbs. The heaviest item was my good camera and lens which accounted for one fifth of the total!

However, the Exped dry bags look to be worth their weight in gold. I need one more to keep my sleeping bag dry. Still not sure about which stove I should get, or if indeed I need to buy one at all. I have a Coleman petrol stove for normal camping and it is brilliant, but quite bulky and the petrol may leak. I may have to invest in an MSR Pocket Rocket.

Because of my sniffles and the wet forecast I decided not to go camping for real, but I did walk to another spot that I thought would be promising. The spot is up Glenkindie past a deserted croft called Largue. The walk in is only 2 miles but the area is quite deserted, apart from the sheep and hundreds of clegs. Thankfully the sheep and clegs are further down the valley and I soon left them behind. A couple of sites look good with fairly good grassy patches and not too wet.

It rained for most of the walk so it was a quick walk back to the car and home to sit in front of the stove despite it being only the middle of September.



No comments:

Post a Comment